Written by Rachel Gersten
Your Focus Determines Your Expansion
Travis Hardin’s passion is giving inspirational speeches for purposeful living with more than 15 years of public speaking experience. This dynamic speaker lives by the inspirational message, that is, “It gives me the greatest level of humility to inspire people and demonstrate in practice that all of us can grow and increase our positive influence on this generation and those around us beyond our wildest expectations. I challenge you to a new season of growth. It begins with your passion to reach new levels.”
He teaches people to redirect and focus their minds to make positive changes in their lives and the lives of others. Travis went on to explain how harmful STD’s, Stinking Thinking Diseases, are to an individual’s growth.
He asked the group to close their eyes and imagine their first day at a new job? When this was done and the group was asked to describe what they imagined they did not have Stinking Thinking Disease, because there were no distractions.
Many people live by I wish..I wish..I wish.., instead of thinking of what they already possess. Travis recommended that people read books on dealing with the mind. The top three books he suggests reading are:
Battlefield of the Mind – Joyce Meyer
As a Man Thinketh – James Alan
Business Secrets From the Bible – Rabbi Daniel Lapin
The 4 Key Points to Thinking More Effectively are:
- People with great attitudes possess a teachable spirit. Redirect your focus, because things are always changing and evolving. One must always keep working on strengthening their mind.
- People have to take responsible for their attitude. People tend to look outward instead of inward for their failures.
- People have to travel the high road. At times people believe in others more than they believe in themselves. Take a chance by focusing on helping someone else.
The 3 roads to take when traveling on the high road – Success impresses people; failures impact people
- Treating people worse than they treat you
- Treating people the same as they treat you. An example of this is an eye for an eye.
- Treat people better than they treat you. Redirect your thoughts on rising above any negativity others bring to you.
- Understand the value of positive thinking. Travis spoke about how his mother impacted her whole community. With only a 5th grade education she possessed a wealth of knowledge and positive attitude on life. Understand the importance of a great attitude. People don’t care if you get knocked down, they care that you got back up.
Steve Morin, Senior Sourcing Consultant
Allstate has a longstanding reputation in the insurance industry with over 80 years in business. There are over 70,000 employees serving over 16 million households. The company’s philosophy is more products = more profits. If you want to be a small business owner, look into becoming an agency owner with Allstate.
Jason Jones, Strategic Partnership Specialist
The University’s Mission Statement is to bring opportunities in the technology field to the masses. For a career in technology students will learn different computer languages such as Java, .NET, Ruby on Rails and more. If you are transitioning in your career and wish to learn more about technology, contact a representative at WozU for additional information.
Jessica Pierce wrapped up the meeting by reminding the group to visit the Career Connectors website at CareerConnectors.org for additional information on upcoming meetings, support tools and event recaps. She went on to thank our wonderful host Calvary Church for their support, as well as, all our amazing corporate sponsors and volunteers. Also, Jessica spoke about upcoming events. The next meeting will be held on October 23rd, 9 am at the Gilbert location Central Christian Church – 965 E. Germann Rd, Gilbert, AZ. Please remember to sign up online for our next meeting. Career Connectors will also be hosting a Diversity & Inclusion Career Event on November 8th 10 am to 1 pm at NAU North Valley Campus.