Written by Debbie Adkins
After reading your resume, but before they see you, employers often have their mind made up about you and your work experience. What you need to do to take control is to “Show Up and Show Out without Shutting Down” and Bridgett McGowen is just the person to take you down that path!
Bridgett is an award-winning international professional speaker; a 2020 Forbes Coaches Council official member; the owner of BMcTALKS Press, an independent publishing company; and the founder and owner of BMcTALKS Academy where she helps professionals be the most engaging, dynamic, incredible communicators ever!
To get started on how to “Show Up and Show Out without Shutting Down”, take in the information below and work with it.
To Show Up requires you to be physically, mentally and emotionally present. Everything about you says that you know you matter.
To Show Out you need to perform, behave and interact with others in a way that is extraordinarily and uncharacteristically impressive.
If you decide to Shut Down, it can be for several reasons:
- Environmental things
- Regency effect (reactions around you)
- Getting stuck in a pattern (avoid change)
There are six reasons why it is worth bothering to Show Up and Show Out. When you Show Up and Show Out:
- You are internally motivated
- You are able to look at the bright side of things; move forward while pushing out negativity
- You push beyond your comfort zone; you have to get uncomfortable before you can be comfortable
- You know what you want
- You do not give up
- You surround yourself with other who show up
Here are four pillars that will consistently position you to Show Up and Show Out in a way that makes you unforgettable for all of the right reasons:
- LOOK: How you look sends a message without you saying a word. Always have a smile, it makes you sound and look confident and composed.
SMILE = S-Strength, M-Magic, I-Infectious, L-Love, E-Energy
- SOUND: How you sound demonstrates that you know how to use your voice to be impactful. Slowing down your rate of speech shows confidence and work on filtering out your filler words (i.e. like, uh, um, ah).
- SAY!: Make your messages always elevate yourself and others.
- SAY?: You need to say what you mean and mean what you say. Put power into your words.
POWER = P-Positive, O-Open-Minded, W-Worthwhile, E-Effective, R-Relevant
Clarivate is a global leader in providing trusted insights and analytics to accelerate the pace of innovation. They operate the Arizona Global Business Center in Chandler. Their vision is to improve the way the world creates, protects and advances innovation.
Open positions include: AR Management, Case Management, Lead Care Management, Product Support Manager, Sales, Head Senior Director of Customer Service Team. For further details go to their website.
Arizona Covid-19 Resources
Career Connectors has partnered with BestComapaniesAZ, Arizona@Work, Arizona Commerce Authority and PipelineAZ to provide resources for both job seekers and employers. Please visit this page for detailed resources including companies now hiring.
We all like free, so at no cost to you, complete the assessment to find your gifts and what kind of job will likely fit you through our no cost DISC assessment.
Thanks our Career Connectors volunteers, we can provide professional coaching in the following areas:
- LinkedIn review
- Resume review
- Career Coaching/Development
- Financial Coaching
- Mock Interviews
Complete a brief form on our website to request coaching.