Written by Penny Oplinger
Correcting for 20/20: Career Insights to Stabilize and Clarify your Focus with Justin Jones. Justin, affectionately known as ‘Job Coach Justin.’ Justin currently leads a team of 16 career mentors at BYU Career Studios. He has literally helped thousands of people find meaningful jobs.
He shared some great tips to help you re-strategize, refocus and start to see 2020 with a new vision.
- Recognize that your vision has changed. If we only look at the negatives then that is where we will stay. Justin recommended you check out ShelleyKlammer.com where she shares 6 stages of grieving.
- Numbness and denial. When we lose a job or lose a family member or close friend. Be patient with yourself.
- Anxiety and panic. We feel this everywhere.
- Bargaining and control. Determine what you have control over.
- Frustration and Anger. We need to allow ourselves to feel these feelings.
- Depression and Despair.
- Acceptance and Peace. This does not necessarily mean everything in your life is going well. We need to accept what is going on around us and realize that what is happening around us does not determine how we act, respond or our self-worth.
- Seek Support. Career Connectors is a perfect example of a place you can go for support.
- Ask for help. Don’t be embarrassed.
- Be your authentic self. This year is not about perfection but being your authentic self.
- Separate from the toxic. Identify what you are ingesting mentally, spiritually, physically that is toxic. Jack Canfield has said that it is better to spend time alone than spend time with toxic people or media.
- Embrace uncertainty. When we embrace uncertainty, it opens us up to possibilities. Sometimes when bad things happen to us it gives us the opportunity to find something even better.
- Doubt. Do not doubt your success or abilities. Doubt your negative thoughts!
- Give every day. Give a smile, encouragement, your time, donations, blood.
- Gather your tools. You need to have the right tool for the right job at the right time.
- Cover letter: Recruiters don’t read them because they are not authentic. Be authentic. The first thing is to compliment the company, tell what you have to offer and then a comment that you look forward to joining their team.
- Resumes: Career Connectors has professional resume writers who volunteer their time at our events. You should have several resumes because it is important to customize your resume to the company you are seeking employment from. List a few people who would give you good recommendations, such as people you have worked with or for.
- LinkedIn: It is absolutely necessary that you have a profile in LinkedIn. Career Connectors has professional LinkedIn coaches who volunteer their time to help you. LinkedIn is the #1 place employers go to when looking for candidates. To aid in ensuring companies see your profile, give your profile a unique name. For example, Justin’s is ‘Job Coach Justin.’ Ensure you have a photo in your profile. Career Connectors has a photographer that volunteers to take headshot photos for you to put in your LinkedIn profile. An extra tip Justin gave is to add a description to your profile photo containing keywords you want to be found for. Instructions are here!
- Send a Thank You note – not an email or text but a handwritten note you mail to the company.
- 10.Gamify: A quote from the movie ‘Mary Poppins’, “In every job that needs to be done there is an element of fun.”
- 11.Build your brand: What is unique about you that would be an asset to the company?
- 12.Act: Start with small actions. Pay attention to your mental prompts that help to move you forward.
- 13.Follow-through: Act on things you are asked to do.
- 14.Recharge: Be patient with companies you have sent resumes to and be patient with yourself.
- 15.Visualization: Close your eyes and think of the goals you have set for yourself. What is the next small step you can take toward that goal and ask yourself what it will take to act on that step?
- 16.Faith/ Spirituality/Career Development: Work toward bringing these together.
Heather Kitsko, Director, Global Talent Acquisition
Isola is the only laminate partner with worldwide R&D manufacturing and technical support.
- Isola is a 105-year old company headquartered in Chandler, AZ
- Approximately 1600 employees worldwide
- Global footprint of 7 manufacturing facilities
- Largest laminate material producer in the United States and Europe – seventh in share worldwide (-4%)
- Industry-leading technology – 185+ patents covering proprietary materials
- Transforming to deliver greater customer, employee and investor value
Improve life by enabling innovation in electronic products through our innovation we help enable new capabilities for mankind
Their raw materials were used in circuit boards to create ventilators for patients with COVID-19.
Their core values center around the following:
- Put Safety First: We prioritize the safety and well-being of our employees above all else.
- Be customer focused: We deliver quality: We deliver quality solutions, listen to our external and internal customers, work to gain their loyalty
- Be Courageous: We embrace change, speak up when we disagree, and move forward committed.
- Be Collaborative: We work as a global team across functions, and support each other professionally and personally
- Be Accountable: When we make a commitment, we take full responsibility and follow through.
Career Opportunities in Chandler, AZ
- Sr. Applications Engineer (PCB)
- Technology Development Chemist (Polymer/Halogen-Free)
- IT Business Analyst
- Manufacturing Financial Analyst
- Network Security Administrator
- Sr. Signal Integrity Engineer
See Isola website for further information/requirements for these job openings.
PennyMac – The lender you can call Home
Darin Dow, Mortgage Underwriter Recruiter
- In business since 2008
- One of the top lenders to create loans.
- One of the nation’s largest servicing mortgage company
- 8th largest servicing company
- 5500 employees; they have hired 1800 employees since January 2020
- Opened office in Phoenix the beginning of 2020.
- Expanding across the nation aggressively. A lot of these positions can be remote. They believe in promoting within the company
- There are several entry-level positions available
- Family/Team friendly
Jason Wiseman, Senior Marketing Director
WealthWave is a network of independent business owners whose mission means they seek to protect and build wealth for the families they serve. Their mission allows them to increase financial literacy for families and provide financial solutions.
Jason Wiseman tells us this was not his original path. He worked for Motorola for many years but even though his job was more stable than many, every year he watched layoffs; and even his key group of 22 was down to only 7 when he left. It was stressful.
Jason couldn’t really afford to start from scratch. It was a paradigm shift to start working at a business part time.
WealthWave is flexible enough so they can help you transition into something part time if you are hesitant about going all in being an entrepreneur. WealthWave’s mission is to eliminate financial illiteracy to keep people from making easily avoidable financial mistakes. Jason now works full time for the company.
Jason suggests you keep your mind open to new opportunities. WealthWave looks to build people up and that’s why they make education first. And because the company was about five years ahead in technology, when COVID hit they were already ahead of most businesses. A whopping 20,000 people attended their online program from Atlanta.
WealthWave®, The HowMoneyWorks® Company, has a clear vision, a passionate mission, advanced systems, and strong platforms. Their slogan is “to disrupt the financial industry so families can dream again.” They are attracting leaders all across North America who are ready to position themselves to eradicate financial illiteracy and pursue the business and future of their dreams.
Why Choose WealthWave?
- Turnkey Solution
- Licensed Profession
- Start Part time
- No Layoffs or Furloughs
- Hands on Training and Mentorship
- A long history of helping people
- To learn more about the company, contact Jason Wiseman at Jason.Wiseman@wealthwave.com.
CEO/Founder of Career Connectors Jessica Pierce thanked the speakers, attendees, and volunteers. Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, November 18 2020, 9:00 am – 11:30 am for our 6th Annual Diversity Talks. Jessica also reminded attendees of online resources available at the Career Connectors website including the free DISC assessment and event recap blogs.