Jessica opened the session. Last week at the North Phoenix event, her husband, Mark took a selfie of the group. He got a great picture of everyone else… but only got the top of his head.
We don’t always do selfies, and they are not mandatory. So if that’s not your thing, relax!
Jessica reminded us there are some good connections and possibilities online, but there is nothing like the one-on-one you get when you get out of the house and network. You never know which connection at Career Connectors, or another networking event, will lead to your next job.
Sandi is Vice President of the Career Connectors Board of Directors and has been vital in its development.
In 2003, Sandi found herself in a similar position many of us have been in. She was asked to resign from her company. They didn’t have a reorganization or a layoff. They wanted someone with an accounting degree and she didn’t have one. She felt at the time she lost so much, but it was the best thing that happened to her.
She now realizes her former role was not in harmony with her personality. In her last job, she was so stressed, pressured to overachieve, and be aggressive. That wasn’t her. Recently, she retook the DISC profile and now sees that her professional roles are in harmony with her personality.
Understanding yourself is critical, both professionally and personally. She gave an example of when she and her husband were going through a stressful time. Their personality and communication styles are different. It wasn’t until they both took the DISC test and acknowledged their differences that the problem was solved.
What is the DISC assessment?
- Basis for understanding yourself and others
- Theory of behavior styles
- It allows you to develop strategies to meet your development goals and find the ideal workplace.
- Your self-awareness will guide them to understand who you are.
But it is only part of your whole person. A Total Person Analysis involves the following:
- Essence (soul and spirit)
- Behavior (DISC Assessment helps measure this)
- Intelligence (IQ)
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
There are four styles in the DISC Assessment:
- Dominance = Problems/challenges
- Influencer = People/contacts
- Steadiness = Pace/consistency
- Compliance = Procedures/constraints
Next, we went over our individual DISC profiles. If you haven’t taken one since January 15, 2016, you can take a free test through Career Connectors at this address. It’s a new format, and worth retaking if you’ve done it in the past.
Sections of the DISC profile report:
- Your key competencies and preferred work style
- Your problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Your communication style
- If you’re having a breakdown in communication, this section will help you pinpoint why it is happening.
- This will help in your personal life as well as professional life
- File this away and use it when you are once again employed
- Your value to the organization will help you sell what you can contribute to the company
- Use them as talking points to form your success stories
- Flexibility and the ability to interpret the needs of others is the mark of a superior communicator.
- Identifying someone else’s behavior helps you communicate effectively with that person.
- You can identify DISC styles by sight.
- Tone of voice can also give someone’s style away.
- Use these discovery questions to determine a person’s personality and preferences:
- What do you do for a living?
- How did you get into that profession?
- Why do you like what you do?
- Are you originally from the local area?
- What do you like for fun?
- Ideal environment:
- Are you in an enjoyable or frustrating environment?
- What environment will you feel at home with?
- How do you see yourself?
- How do others see your behaviors?
- Your preferences for solving problems and meeting challenges
- How you influence people
- Response to rules and procedures set by others
Remember who YOU are matters. Your unique value makes a contribution no one else can.
VIXXO (Formerly First Service Networks)
Heather Kitsko, Senior Recruiter
It’s the first time they can publicly announce their new name.
They are a leading technology-enable asset management and business insight company
- They have 1,000 associates and fifteen locations.
- Headquarters are in Scottsdale
- For seven years, Inc. Magazine named them one of America’s fastest-growing private companies.
- Their purpose is to keep the world’s business running smoothly so the brands you love continue to inspire.
- Their goal is to anticipate disruptions in equipment and fix them before they break down.
- They’re going to an Agile management throughout the company
- The site: www.vixxo.com is now live
- Their headquarters are in Scottsdale
- They are a large travel brokerage serving the cruise industry and other travel companies.
- How do they work?
- Call former cruise customers and offer cruise discounts.
- The customer gets a year to decide details when they take a discount.
- Customers also call ICE to make plans for their next cruise.
- Call former cruise customers and offer cruise discounts.
- Median wage is $55,000 annually
- Voted Best Place to work in Phoenix Business Journal 2013 and 2014
- Discounted travel 50%-75% off cruise packages
- Free trips for top performers
- Nonsales jobs include:
- In-house counsel
- Telecom analyst
- Branding Strategists
- Director of Digital Lead Generation
- Data entry
- Web designer/developer
- Accounting Clerk
For more information: www.iceenterprise.com
- It is a full service Hiring Organization.
- Founded in 2002 and is one of the fastest growing companies according to Inc. Magazine.
- They have positions locally as well as across the nation.
- They hire for:
- Executive Searches
- They do coaching with their candidates so you can be presented in the best light.
- They have a great breadth of companies they work with.
- They opened ten locations across the nation in the last year.
- They are in most major markets.
- They have a high offer acceptance-98%of offers extended to candidates get accepted.
- They have several open positions from higher level to data entry:
- Sales Positions
- They have city and state contracts in the area.
For more information: www.allaboutpeople.net
Linda experienced a layoff last year, so she knows what it is like to be without a position. She emphasized the importance of networking. She said, “Before you leave today, be sure you network with three to four people. Someone that you least expect may connect you to someone that changes your life.”
- Freedom Financial helps people transform their financial lives.
- They serve people who experience debt and are being harassed by collectors.
- Freedom Financial helps the customers to consolidate, reduce debt and fix their debt situation.
- It was founded in 2002 when Stanford classmates were experiencing too much debt.
- Today, they have over 1,000 employees.
- Their locations are in Tempe and San Mateo, California.
- They don’t believe their values belong on a wall but in the hearts of employees.
- But one value that stands out is compassion. They can train everything else, but either you care about people or you don’t.
- They’ve been recognized by Phoenix Business Journal as a Best Place to Work winner.
- They have a recognition program.
- Volunteer day for an organization or a worthy cause.
- Monthly appreciation lunch
- Freedom Family Fund gives the ability to help coworkers.
- They celebrate employee’s birthday with four hours off.
- Some positions include:
- Account Executives
- Compliance Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Product Managers
- Senior Software Engineers
- 32% of positions filled are through internally
- Over 50% of positions filled externally are through referrals
For more information: freedomfinancialnetwork.com/jobs
James works out of the North Phoenix office. They are planning to make all locations offer the same programs in the coming weeks.
They offer Skill Development Packages:
- Phoenix Workforce Connection Seminars – Public
- They have mock interview labs that help you polish your skills and figure how you can improve your presentation.
- Job Clubs allows you to network with other people.
- 21st Century job search seminar
- Level 1 package: Skills that match the job
- 3 + 3 Package: Three days and three hours to get a job
- This is if you are marketable and don’t need any training
- Level 2 package: Research Pathways to Higher Wages
- Personal and career awareness
- Determine if you need additional training
- Arizona Job Connection
- Helps you get access to 50,000 positions.
The current Phoenix unemployment is 4.7%! It’s a good time to find a new job!
They are changing their name to Arizona at Work next week
One piece of advice James has is to be happy and do the things with family to build happiness. Employers will notice your demeanor.
Canyon State Institute
Sherri Carparelli, President & CEO
Sherri recommends going to all three Career Connector events through the month. Each one is unique and gives you more networking opportunities. Then she reminded us when you are unemployed, you are eligible to receive a grant for certification and education.
- They are the only locally owned certification company in the area.
- They have locations in Phoenix and Chandler.
- Why get certification?
- Defines your knowledge
- Increases your marketability
- Enables you to answer what you have been doing while unemployed with a positive answer.
- Different programs include:
- Microsoft Office
- Medical Support Specialist
- Information Technology
- Project Management
- Human Resources
- Process Improvement
- All courses lead you to taking and passing a certification exam.
- All of their programs are high demand.
- Includes career service center.
- Funding available through:
- DES Vocational Rehabilitation
For more information: canyonstateedu.com
Jessica Pierce reminded us If you haven’t taken your DISC assessment in the last ten days, be sure to take it again because it has changed.
- Next Events:
- Gilbert: Get LinkedIn or Get Left Out with Ted Robison
- Phoenix: Crush the Pink Slip: Get Back to Work in 60 Days with Brenda Cunningham
- Scottsdale: Activate Your Job Search with Kevin Dumcum
- Military Career Event
- with Best Companies AZ
- February 17, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM